View Single Post
Old 02-15-12, 12:08 PM
Syscrush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Just a little update... In the years I've had this bike, I've made the following changes:

1) Black Velocity Deep V's front (machined) & rear (unmachined), both are laced to stock hubs, still black spokes. In both cases I made the change as a result of accidents (being hit by a car killed the back rim, hammering into a sewer grate and going over the bars killed the front rim).

2) 42x17 gearing, both cogs black. It was 48x19 when I got it and I hated the big ugly cog, rode 48x16 for a while, got out of shape and had some knee probs so I swapped to 44x17.

3) Shiny chrome chain.

4) Easton EC70 carbon seatpost. After a test ride on a Cervelo RS with an FSA carbon post, I thought that this change might increase comfort. It didn't. Not great value for money, but no way am I taking it off.

5) Terry Falcon Y saddle. I wore out the stocker, and thought that the black seat with grey graphics would look good on a black bike with grey accents. Also, I wanted to try a split saddle. Having ridden it, I think they're BS, no more comfortable than a traditional saddle. Also, the top of my seatpost doesn't look great from above, and crud gets in there when the bike is left parked outside. Next saddle will be traditional style.

I've had a lot of fun on this machine. I'm building another bike now because I'm a bit too out of shape to ride good old Nicky, and I'm nursing some knee injuries. I've done a bunch of 100k days on it - too many to count, and did back-to-back century rides (100 miles/day 2 days in a row), out to the Niagara Escarpment and back. I've never once regretted the purchase and if I was ever physically unable to ride the bike for some reason, I'd probably hold onto it and hang it on my wall. It's a beautiful machine and I have a lot of love for it.