View Single Post
Old 02-15-12, 07:17 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I think what many are saying is that the suspension is more or less unnecessary for road riding, and that if you really want to ride on the Loop, you may be better served by a mountain bike of some kind. I concur with this, and unless you just have to have the Roam 1, I would suggest that you scour local garage sales for a cheap vintage 1990's no-suspension mountain bike in good condition, or buy a new bike which might be similar to the Roam 1, but without suspension, like this bike, for example.

My personal take is that buying from CL is easier when you know a lot about bikes and can recognize good buys from bad buys. I hate to admit it, but I regretted buying the one bike I got off Craigslist. Too, a lot of the bikes listed on CL are sold by bike flippers, and just like I hate to buy tickets from a scalper, I can't buy with enthusiasm from a bike flipper.

As an aside, I will say that I did try my Peugeot offroad, with some Kenda K-Rads, and it was not entirely satisfactory. I much prefer my Trek Fuel.