Old 02-15-12, 08:23 PM
TacomaSailor

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix road bike, Stumpjumper Comp hardtail, Trance X2 FS mountainbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A very long time ago when helmets were just becoming somewhat common - I purchased my first Bell Helmet and went for my first ride with a helmet. Just a short ride around the neighborhood - seemed very strange! I had been touring on bicycles for years with no helmet so took some getting used to!

Two miles from home a dog ran out of a yard - wiped out my front wheel - I went over the handlebars at 15 mph. Landed on the helmet and split it in half. Walked away with a minor concussion and sore neck. It is hard to imagine the result if I had not been wearing the helmet.

Second Story

Riding on a city street with a formal bike lane. Minivan passes me - next thing I remember is waking up in dirt to the right of the bike lane. A kind motorist stopped and called the police. Told them the minivan thru a beer bottle at me - hit me in face - broke my left eye socket and knocked me out.

I could go on forever

- mountain lion tracking me in the Olympics while on mountain bike
- semi parking on top of my left leg (stilled clipped into cleats) after running over me
- judge telling me it is my fault for getting hit while standing STOPPED at a RED light while in the bicycle lane
- seat falling off as I landed a bad jump on mountain bike (we have NO children!)
- dodging high velocity rifle rounds while riding mountain bike in Cascades
... and so forth