Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
Trafficcasaurus, are you talking about being bored while you ride? From the way you mentioned having ridden all day on short tours, I kind of suspect that you mean "what do Ido with myself when I`m done riding for the day?" Well, I suspect that I suspect that because I have the same issue- only ride short tours, and keep on pedalling until sundown because I don`t know what else to do. Either way, I can`t offer much advise because I`ve never tried to actually solve the problem- I just keep doing short tours that don`t require rest days and keep riding from sunup to sundown. I am curious to see what other people say about it, though. Ya never know, I just might end up unemployed and ready to try my hand at a long one some day.
I often enjoy the time off the bicycle more than I enjoy the time on the bicycle.

Off the bicycle options:
-- Go for a swim in the local pool or at the beach
-- Go for a hike on a nearby trail
-- Check out a museum or other tourist attractions
-- Walk up and down the streets of town to see what's there and do a little window shopping
-- Go shopping
-- Take in an organised tour
-- Write in a journal
-- Write short stories
-- Read books
-- Read the local newspaper
-- Do Sudoku or other puzzles
-- Stop in at an internet cafe or library to go online for a little while

For example ... On my 3-month tour of Australia, some of the most memorable days were completely off the bicycle. I spent a day wandering around Canberra, a day in Brisbane, and a couple days wandering around Melbourne, Sydney, and Hobart ... checking out the markets, watching the street entertainers, doing some little tours, etc. etc.

I spent one day doing this tour in Tasmania: http://www.gordonrivercruises.com.au/ ... and another day at the Port Arthur prison. Up in Queensland I did an organised tour out to the Great Barrier Reef and one on Fraser Island.

I injured myself along the way and took 5 days off toward the end of that tour. I stayed in a little tourist town in Queensland and spent part of my days by the pool, and some of my days walking around and/or taking little bus trips various places. I spent time in the internet cafe and lots of time reading and sleeping. It was nice.