View Single Post
Old 02-17-12, 06:18 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co
First of all, I'm not dissing Walz. I admire this company. I like the fact that the hat is made in the USA, and that they make traditional styles and fabrics. The quality overall is fine, and the price, for what I got, was very reasonable.

I don't like the big gathering of elastic in the back, first of all. Mine is the smaller size. If I stretch the elastic all the way out (as if the hat would fit my head without the elastic), it could fit a huge head. (I can't imagine what sort of pumkinhead would test the limits of the larger size.) I noticed the elastic in the pictures on the web, but it looked less prominent there than what I see now in the mirror.

Anyway, that's not a huge deal. Here's why I will probably return it.

I am a sensitive creature with delicate little shell-ears. If I ride (or walk when the wind is blowing, for that matter) out in the world when the temperature is below, say, 64 degrees F, I rather quickly develop a blinding pain which I assume comes from the freezing of my eardrums. When I ride my bike in Spring, Winter, and Fall, I pretty much always have to wear a band around my ears to keep from debilitating myself.

So I was attracted to the models with the ear-flap-thing, which is what I got. Because the hat is not properly fitted, however, the ear-flap-thing is made of WAAAAAAY too much fabric. They don't fit snugly against my ears, and thus promise no aural protection from the wind. Plus, from the back or side, with the flaps down, there is a big bulge of gathered material at the back that comes down and rolls under at the nape of the neck, making it look like I am carrying a piece of fruit for my mid-ride snack or am hiding the face of my evil, underdeveloped, conjoined twin.

I tried it on and started planning to to remove the elastic, cut down the fabric, and sew it back together to fit. Then I was like, wait, why don't I just buy a hat that has the fit and features I want? Also, I don't know how to sew.
This is why I go with a balaclava under my helmet. I have a thin polypro one made by Wickers that cost almost nothing and provides good wind protection without overheating.