View Single Post
Old 02-17-12, 12:49 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by njkayaker
It doesn't seem that there would be so many selfish cyclists that it would be worth inconveniencing their other customers or losing the business of those other customers.
Which is the decision of the business owner, as I think I've made quite clear.

Too bizarre!

Accommodating wheelchairs (in the US) is a legal obligation.

How many people in wheelchairs are there were you live?
Accommodating wheelchairs is a legal obligation, I'm sure. But even so a business can only cope with so many wheelchairs. I've seen a few businesses in the US where a single wheelchair would take up a significant amount of their floorspace. I've been to places in the UK with a friend who uses a wheelchair and not had a lot of space to get her to a table.

No, it depends on more than that.
Maybe more than that but it's pretty obvious that the kind of place where you stand at a counter while your food is prepared and then leave with it could struggle to accommodate a single bike while a huge eating area with lots of space between the tables could easily accommodate a bike at every table.

The business gained from accommodating a few selfish cyclists would not offset the loss of business inconveniencing many more people.

While you are clearly free not to do business at any particular place, the business is likely glad that he doesn't have to deal with you!
So you're back to assuming you know better than the business owner whether accommodating cyclist is a good thing or not? I'd have thought the owner of the business should get to make that call, as I think I've said a few times now. It seems like a pretty simple thing for them to do - either don't allow them at all, allow them outside peak times, or allow them at any time. I guess the individual business knows best what it wants to do for its own clientele, no?