Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
there are things you can do if you find the need to fill time with activities other than simply relaxing. I have had some wonderful times simply laying on the ThermaRest with my eyes closed, feeling the sun and the breeze and listening to the birds.
Originally Posted by EriktheFish
This question was asked here before and I still am astounded by the question. On my last tour I rode for over 4 months and can say I was never once bored!!! Maybe my route across the US wasn't as boring as what others have done, and maybe boredom occurs for those that ride solo. As long as there is at least one other human being travelling with me, I ain't bored. I also carry my camera in a handlebar mounted bag and am constantly searching out photo ops. If the scenery isn't spectacular, I suppose I get absorbed in internal thoughts (happy memories, solving the world's problems, inventing better gizmos for bike tourists). But bored? Not a chance.
Absolutely!! Being out on the bicycle gives me a chance to think. At work, I have to think work-related thoughts ... focus on the projects I'm working on. At home, I've got the TV, computer, and lots of other stuff to do and to think about. But when I get out on the bicycle, I can let my thoughts go wherever they want to go, and that's wonderful.

Also touring offers the opportunity to relax and enjoy doing things I try to squeeze into the rest of my life ... like reading, for example. At work I read manuals. At home, there's hardly ever time to read, but on a tour, I can relax and read.

And the photography thing is a great way to encourage me to look at the beauty in smaller things ... if I'm in an area where there doesn't appear to be much beauty in the larger scenery.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I toured other peoples countries, so every day was seeing someplace new.
+1

To a Canadian, Europe and Australia (the two main areas I've toured) are fascinating places because they are different from the usual Canadian scenery. There's so much to look at and take in.