Old 02-19-12, 09:09 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by nymtber
My next bike will likely be a bikes direct bike. Why? Value. I don't take my bike to LBS for ANYTHING anymore. I have the tools and equipment I need to repair the bikes I own, and if I buy a bike that requires another tool (bb removal, etc) I will just buy it. I also know what size frame I like, which helps.

However, if you don't have a bike repair stand (sorry, they make life easier), a wheel truing stand, and all the tools, as well as the knowledge to get the bike set, go with the Fischer. So you might save $400. I have about that into tools....
I only pay infrequent visits to the LBS since I used to work there. But I was assembling bikes there when I was in my late 20's as a hobby, I also had years of wrenching experience before that but we always had a check list to do when assembling a bike and it normally took me a couple of hours to assemble each one. We lubed everything that had bearings and trued and tensioned the wheels and adjusted everything.

I now perform most of my own work but there are a few things that I won't buy the tools to do since the tools are too expensive for the infrequent use. Frame adjustment tools and facing tools are too expensive, I have only had to face one bike and I have only had to bend one fork to straighten it. The only frame tool that I do own is the dropout alignment tool.

I general I agree with the above comment but there are a few exceptions. Also most people won't own a truing stand unless they are experienced at wheel building.

Back to the OP, I wouldn't buy a bike online unless I were very sure of my size, I also like to try out the bikes to see if that bike is a the style that I want to ride. When I purchased my touring bike I tried four or five different touring bikes before deciding that I really wanted a touring bike and the style of touring bike (flat bars vs drop bars) that was fit for me. It is nice having the two years of free tune-ups but I didn't use them since I maintain my own bikes and it is a good idea to maintain your own touring bike incase you have problems in the middle of nowhere.

But I was thinking of getting a cheap BD bike for my kid, when she goes to college in the fall. If the bike gets stolen at school it cost less than her Bianchi or Giant bikes.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 02-19-12 at 09:13 PM.