UBUvelo
astrositupataphysicyclist

Bikes: too many now

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
I've been singing the praises of SS for about ten years to anyone who'll listen. It amazes me how few catch the fever. I've turned so many neighbors and friends onto bicycling over the years but none have ever considered SS. I always chuckle when I go on a ride with a newbie to cycling and they suggest I'll never be able to keep up if I only have one gear. (especially when they struggle along on heavy double-suspension, fat knobby, MTB, or a hybrid-comfort the LBS talked them into).

But one recent victory, --my daughter. Freshman at DePaul (Chicago-north side), she asked me to build her a "hipster single-speed like everybody rides in the city." Cool.

yep, cool enough

at 48+ and having only drunk the kool-aid last year (and perfected the taste...!), i still have areas to explore (having done only xc racing and long rides on rugged trails) like singlespeed cyclocross and, yeah, fixie.

i admit, i hit a plateau lately and need to mix things up (like ride my geared cx bike on the road for some base miles), but all my bikes that aren't ss pretty much are 'cross-fit' training tools in service of singlespeeding performance and--the most important thing--ENJOYMENT!

my pitch to others about ss is simply this: i used to smile when i rode my bike ; on singlespeed, i LAUGH