View Single Post
Old 02-21-12, 07:53 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by Brennan
I recently picked up this sweet Centurion Mixte for my wife. I gave it a pretty good cleaning and replaced the tires/tubes, otherwise it's all original, I think. Anyone know anything about this bike, like year/model? There is no model name or other identifying info on the frame. Just the Centurion logo on the downtube, which actually says "Centurion Custom." Serial number goes like this:

W77 3 40233

Other possible identifying info:

Suntour GT Rear Derailleur
Suntour Spirt Front Derailleur
Suntour Stem Shifters
Western Drop Forged Brakes
27" Steel Wheels
While this is a new serial number format, it's tempting to say it's 1977/1978. The component mix is almost the identical to a Centurion Sport from the era, with the exceptions of the bars, which could be part of the mixte configuration, and the fenders, which could be aftermarket. Still, given the lack of real estate for traditional model name placement, it may in fact be a Custom. If this of Taiwanese manufacture? I assume it has the "north star/cross" headbadge? It would be appreciated if you could take the time to get some date codes off the components (refer to components page of the Vintage-Trek website) and post a photo of the downtube decal. TIA.