View Single Post
Old 02-21-12, 11:55 AM
joe englert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Great Story to share

So I was doing my late in the day recovery ride which is a 10 mile loop or 2 laps with a one mile out and back roller around my area. I spotted a fairly heavy middle aged guy riding and approaching me from the opposite way. When I got to the out and back roller section, the guy I saw earlier started following me. I was thinking this guy wants a little race. Well, there was no way some weekend out of shape rider was going to stay with me (I was riding my Colnago master equilateral bty) so I started pushing the pace. To my suprise, the guy was sucking my wheel pretty good. I pushed some more on some of the little hills and, although he was huffing and puffing, he was still hanging with me. When we got to the end of the street and rode back, we started talking about my bike. We soon started talking about my favorite topic...vintage racing. He asked me if I was ever a professional racer...I was going to say yes, I was on the 7-11 team..but I told the truth...no. Being polite, I returned the question and he told me that "oh yeah, I was on the 7-11 team for about 5 years. At that point i asked him....are you Harvey Nitz? Yes it was Nitz!!! The next day I rode with him for about 30 miles. Seems that he is finally getting back into bike riding after many years away. Man, he had so many great stories that after 30 miles I still wanted to keep riding with him.