Old 02-22-12, 12:46 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by Wonder Penguin
Hi

I'm interested in finding out what this bike is. I live in Australia and a friend was going to throw this bike out so I took it. It came from a neighbour of theirs who was also going to throw it out so I don't know the history. I found this thread and started becoming interested.

The label says Centurion Turbo.
Serial Number is:M3M01753 - The second number is not clear it could be 3,5,6 or 8
Suntour ARX derailers front and back
Suntour Systemtric shifter
Dia Compe 500 Brakes
27 inch Araya Rims
Tange No. 5 Tubes
Sugino Crank Set

It has a made in Japan Sticker near the bottom of the seat tube so I don't think it is made in Taiwan as some suggest the 'M' might mean.

Any clues on the date and your opinion on this bike would be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve
This is definitely not the same Centurion Turbo as released in the USA, where it was the top model! Regardless, the 2nd digit is likely a 3, The metal headbadge was dropped 1985 (in the USA) and top mount shifters had also passed out of fashion by then. It's almost certainly a 1983 model but there's an outside possibility of it being a 1984. This appears to be the equivalent of the 1983 LeMans 12 that was offered in the USA, which was an upper entry level model. The LeMans 12 used Tange #5 for the main tubes and hi-tensile steel for the forks and stays. I can't quite make out your decal to determinne if it's a full #5 set or not.