Old 02-22-12, 05:04 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by M-theory
It does look difficult to undertake....and quite a journey...... but then I see a guy like Sacha White who started in his early 20's, has only been doing it for 9 years and has a 5-year waiting list. Same with Richard Sachs.... (7 year waiting list). But yeah... If there are only a few guys out of 500 making it..... then its bad. I'll do a little market research to get a better picture of whose getting the money and what percentage of the total industry they represent.
I have seen Richard Sachs express discomfort at people talking about his waiting list, I'll guess that Sacha White feels somewhat the same. I would think it would be an issue that would cause a certain amount of stress. Go look at Richard Sach's blog (link above) to see what he thinks of your chances. You have listed two anomalies in a fairly large field. My understanding is that Sacha White blew everyone out of the water at the first NAHBS, and that was when his orders expanded. In any event, he got into the business at the right time in the right place. There is not going to be anyone else that copies his path and makes it. Richard Sachs seems to have achieved what he did by being an incredibly interesting and helpful person on the internet. That and working hard for 30-odd years. There were lean years.
Originally Posted by M-theory
"There aren't builders that want to take on an apprentice" OK... Maybe this is a way for builders to subsidize their income? I'd be happy to pay (a reasonable amount) to apprentice for a month at a builders shop......while doing grunt work, office work, web site, sales, advertising and all related company work. Isn't that a profitable accord? I'm sure I'm not the only one either.
David Bohm has an open offer for an apprentice. He has thought about what he needs in order to trade his time for the apprentice's time. What you describe is going to his school twice, not an apprenticeship. I make a living training people, it's not easy