Old 11-12-02, 08:10 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally posted by roadbuzz
I saw this article at Bicycling.com and thought about the thread a couple of months ago about unfriendly cyclists (unsuccessfully tried to find the thread).

I don't understand it. I automatically assume a fellow cyclist is a friend I haven't met yet. If I'm not trying to avert some about-to-happen disaster, I always wave and smile, even if I don't stop and socialize.
My experience has been somewhat different. On the road, I'm always riding alone, and it's the exception to EVER see another rider. When I do, I always say hello and wave. The other rider generally reciprocates, but not always.

Now, on the single-track, there are a few more riders - but still not many. I may run into one group or one other rider on a typical ride. We always @ least share a friendly greeting, but usually we stop and have a chat.

There does seem to be a difference between road riders and mountain bikers - @ least in my area. The off-road demographic seems to be more of the friendly/granola type, while the road riders seem to be more of a yuppie/unsocial type.

Yup - it's a huge generalization, but that's been my experience!