Old 02-23-12, 11:45 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I didn't post earlier though I watned to. I let the technical udes get their say first, then give my experience.

New bikes, new wheels, last me about 2000 miles before problems arise. HWat I did not know early in my cycling days was that the wheels shoudld be retensioned after 300 miles or so. Or it wil not last much more than 2000.

I build my own wheels, retension after 200-300, then get 20,000 troule free miles.

Every expert wheel builder I have met and paid to build a wheel fro me has said "you don't need it if I use loctite, spoke prep, or magic fairy dust."

But never once has a wheel gone over 500 miles without needing retension.

If I were you, I'd have the builder retension the wheel after 200-300 miles or you "will" be in the same situation after 2000-3000 miles.

I'd be willing to bet you never took the hybrid back for the free tuneup and asked for a re tension of the spokes. I also bet the shop dude only trued the wheels in the past and never checked the tension or retensioned the spokes. If so, I bet this would have prevented the current problems you are experiencing.

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 02-24-12 at 12:15 AM.