View Single Post
Old 03-02-12, 11:13 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
http://massbike.org/calendar/berkshi...cle-tour-2012/ might be fun, if you can take a few days off work
I saw that recently, because I've been looking for information about the Mass Bike Summer Century & Family Ride this year. If I may spin off...

For the past three years there has been an Annual Fifty-Plus Bike Forum Ride informally organized around a major club ride as suggested by a subscriber in that region, and I attended the last two. In 2009 was Colorado, 2010 was in Watkins Glen NY and 2011 was in Chelsea, MI. I was thinking of suggesting the Mass Bike Summer Ride for 2012. Already a ride is being touted in Nashville, TN in early June, too far for me, but additional venues are welcome.

So before I can make a proposal for far-flung participants to come to Massachusetts, I need to know the date, still in the planning stages, and this post is a preliminary heads-up. One concern I have though, is that the previous rides were in rural, i.e. non-metropolitan areas, and Metro Boston can be expensive especially in the summer. Most of the previous participants chose to camp, and a few went to inexpensive, but nice motels. Does anyone know of similar accomodations, especially campgrounds, in the vicinity of the Mass Bike Century, most likely starting around Lexington, and probably extending towards the west? Also, are there other locally sponsored and supported combined rides of varying distances this summer?

Thanks for any advice.