nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MileHighMark
Not enough vertical clearance. I originally went with TRP CX8.4 mini-v's, and there was only a couple of mm clearance between the cable and a 650x42B tire. Fenders, Hetres, or knobbies would have been completely out of the question. Any brake with longer arms would have been too much for the Campy levers (and I don't want to mess with Travel Agents).
I really appreciate the reply on this - I have been thinking about a fast road bike with stronger brakes and rack mounts for making my 25mi commute a little better (i currently either ride my 30lb hybrid mule with a side pannier or my 16lb carbon bike with a backpack - neither is optimal).

Would you say that the vertical clearance issue is mostly due to a combination of perhaps the unusual wheel size (i would be using 700c x 25/28 - something much like a CX frame) or the Campy levers? (new-age shimano levers are better served by a 90mm v-brake arm than the 80 or 84 used with Campy/Sram)? I mean, if your frame's canti bosses were a few mm higher on the seatstays, it should be fine, right?