View Single Post
Old 03-02-12, 07:35 PM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kind of Blued
Calculating petrol costs and ignoring food costs seems silly to me, unless everybody here gets their food for free.

Commuting to work almost doubles my daily calorie expenditure, and 300,000 calories worth of food/year definitely costs me time and a lot of money.

I don't commute to save money in the first place, but for those that do, it seems ignorant to ignore YOUR fuel consumption.
The $3 loaf of whole wheat bread on my counter contains 1,710 calories, or 570 calories per dollar. At that price, it would cost $526 per year to fuel your cycling, or about $10 per week. That's about the same as 2 - 3 gallons of gas. I'm not sure how many miles per year you bike to burn 300,000 calories, but I'll bet it's pretty high.

Not that anyone powers their cycling on wheat bread alone, but at least with food we get to choose how many dollars per calorie we wish to spend. There are both cheaper and more expensive ways to do it than my example.

Edit: Playing around with calorie calculators, my 50 miles commuting per week would cost me around $3. YMMV!

Last edited by Spld cyclist; 03-02-12 at 07:38 PM.