View Single Post
Old 03-03-12, 05:32 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 202MphHayabusa
So lets see. my Bianchi Project cross USA cost me about $1800
I stopped counting at 75,000 miles on this bike...that works out to .024 a mile
not counting tires chains tubes, tubulars, ect....

If I did the math on my Merlin extralight that cost me about $6k back in the late 90's the number would not be good at all, as I have only ridden it about 20,000 total
ouch 30 cents a miles wow
The only one that I can even approach that first number with was my Schwinn Le-Tour, purchased in the 80's. I still have it even though a roomate ripped the derailleur hanger off it. Some day I plan to put an IGH on it.

That embodies the reason that my commuting bicycle costs are high. I am constantly tinkering. It is an addiction only slightly less expensive; but significantly more socially acceptable, than drugs.

If I am not tinkering I am trying a new bicycle. Even here in China I am constantly resisting the urge to purchase another new bike even though I know I will have to walk away from it in a year. The only one I will return to the states with is my folder. The worst part is that I can rationalize reasons that I need another bike.

Your Merlin better reflects my bike purchases and economy. The trouble is that a new bike is cheap enough to make without really taking a big financial hit; but, expensive enough that it just wipes out any cost/mile justifications.