Old 03-04-12, 11:52 AM
dehoff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericthered
Boy, how do you respond to some with over 12,000 post.

I was referring to my 32mm tire (which is my primary rear tire size but once again NOTHING UNDER 28mm) when I said that they were at 85 psi which seems in line with what Sheldon would recommend (he actually says 75).
http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html
Tire width in mm
Wheel load 50 mm 37 mm 32 mm 28 mm 25 mm 23 mm 20 mm
100 lbs/50 kg 45 60 75 100 110 120 130
70 lbs/35 kg 35 50 65 80 90 100 110

The two comments that you glossed over were why I liked A719. 1) eyelets 2) wider.

There is also differences in rim materials that will make them more or less resistant to denting when subject to abuse. You can see this in discussion on mnt bike forum. Honestly, I cannot always dodge that pothole, railroad track, etc and un-weight as well as I would like in TRAFFIC. My current mavic a719 and previous alex dv15 did not dent in the same way as I experienced with the "bombproof" deep V.

I hold by my statement that I think the mavic a719 are a stronger rim and prefer them over the deep V. The $25 difference is cheap on the front end and I have plenty of places to lighten the bike above the saddle. I guess the real difference can be seen on Peter White's site. The Deep V is under "Racing" while the A719 is under "Touring". If you are looking for the strongest "narrow racing" rim, deep V, "My strongest narrow rim for racing. 30mm tall." My guess is that any of the rims in Touring are "stronger" than the deep V. The a719 might also be easier to build with the access to the nipples and eyelets over the deep V for a novice (considering OP).
Cheers
Eric
If you weighed 220 and your bike plus all your gear was 20 pounds, the load on your rear wheel would be greater than the 100 lbs in Sheldon's chart. Throw in the fact that the tires may not have actually measured out to 32mm or the fact that they may have been 28's and your tire could have easily been underinflated.

If you take a look over at the Bicycle Quarterly Article on Tire Inflation, your actual load on the rear tire would have been 144 pounds if you were at 220 pounds and the total bike weight was 20 pounds (17 pound bike plus two full water bottles, and that's not including anything else you might have carried or were wearing). So, we're at a recommended 85 psi for a 32 and almost 110 psi for a 28 and you "usually kept them inflated up around 85 psi depending on the tire.", so they could have easily been underinflated. Those pressures are for the best combination of performance and comfort, so if you're encountering a lot of potholes, railroad crossings, etc. increasing the pressure even greater could lend toward protecting the rim.