Old 03-04-12, 08:33 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by jimisnowhere
I've been following the Primal Blueprint for about 3 months now. My intent was weight loss, the inflammation stuff and the other theories seem neat, but I'm fat. I switched to it when I felt I was on a permanent Weight Watchers plateau. I'll add (some) grains back in when I'm at a competitive weight. I record all my ride times, avg speeds, qualities and incidents on Excel. Bonks stopped 2 weeks into the diet. They return when I slide off the diet, for weeks like Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. When I was eating lots of grains, gels, gus and sportsdrinks I found myself slipping into a bonk repeatedly in the last 30 miles of a century. Drink gatorade feel super strong, fade, have a gel, feel great fade harder, gatorade feel great...bonk. Now, I take apples, cheddar and salami on rides. No bonks, no sudden fades of power, just a steady predictable decline in energy.
You're just using your diet to pace yourself better. You'd be faster if you ditched the cheese and salami and ate some carbs on the ride. People take in carbs on a ride to go faster. If you don't care about going faster leaving out the carbs and riding slower is fine but all the fat you're eating on the ride is of no benefit and won't stop you from bonking. You're not bonking because you are riding at a lower intensity.