Old 07-22-05, 08:28 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My argument was not based on nothing happening to your bike while touring...duh! And your all right, the likelyhood of something happening is next to nothing...BUT schit happens no matter how well something is made and it will happen in the most inconvenient places. And if you want to go touring on something that may present a problem should it break then more power to you and happy trails.

Sure you may not find "quality" touring tires in 700 or 26 sizes, but the point is you can find a tire, and when you don't have a tire some sort of tire is better then none! I have destroyed tires and I do carry a spare tire, and if you have never destroyed a tire then either your very lucky or don't ride as much as you want us to believe you do!

Phil Woods hubs and bottom brackets are bulletproof-BUT not impossible to break; and by field serviceable Phil also means they use a standard bearing size that is available anywhere in the world (or so they claim) instead of some size bearing that is only useful for that one product and only in very few countries.

Personally the sense of adventure for me is to go with stuff that I know is basic, easy to repair, and will work. I guess after owning many cars over the years and currently owning a couple of 21st century cars and one 67 car, and knowing that I can fix the 67 anywhere myself and it has less problems then the newer cars I've become quiet cynical of some modern technology. Whats really bizaar is that I am almost considering selling the newer cars and get nothing but 60 or early 70's era cars!

Now you all surely think I'm a freak!