View Single Post
Old 03-06-12, 05:23 PM
sandulea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, you really gotta think about what you carry with you when using frame bags. I miscalculated the bags' space last year on tour and I ended up carrying stuff like bread and other high volume, low weight objects in bags on my handlebars half the time. That was the only time I missed having a rack and being able to bungee things to it. I have to integrate a small rack in my current rig, to prevent this kind of problem in the future. Otherwise, each bag had a specific category of objects inside that also contributed to the shape, because I integrated minimal structural elements in the bags themselves.

I went through the racks and panniers phase, also rode with a trailer once, but I hated the way the bike felt when loaded, regardless of the bike used. Sure, it was simple and practical, but the ride and the feel while on road matter a lot to me, so over time I moved towards a lighter load and frame bags alone. At the moment, the gear, including camping stuff, some food, water and the bags themselves, weighs in at 20-22 pounds. But more importantly, the bike rides exactly the same when loaded or unloaded. If anything, the suspension is a little softer if left unadjusted so it rides even better. Also, on descents I rest my chin on the big gas tank (tent and foam mattress) and get a wicked aero position for the ultimate comfort and speed. The frame bags also give a nice, solid feel when on the bike. There's a great perceived difference between a skinny, bare frame between your legs and a big frame bag nearly 4 inches wide. You know it's not structural in any way, but it feels safer and comfier. I loathe the test rides with the bare frame when trying out different pieces, so I end up using a triangle frame bag constantly.

Below are a few of my past setups. All of them feature the same veteran frame, an italian aluminium frame, Elios Energy, that went through a slew of different wheel size combinations and from fully rigid to fully suspended, with many other combinations in between. Currently it's undergoing a rebuild, to replace steel with aluminium wherever possible and to seal most of the steel parts, to weatherproof it as much as possible. I'm also redesigning most of the critical mounts and intersections, because I made a lot of compromises last year trying to finish it in time for the big tour.