View Single Post
Old 03-08-12, 02:06 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by PeaceVegan
Wow, before reading this thread I never would have guessed how passionate mirrored riders are.
I find my mirror essential for my commute. I understand why some may choose not to use one and while I don't care what others do and won't argue with the choice they make, I will argue with a justification of the choice if the justification is poor or incorrect.

There are a lot of opinions here about its efficacy. Before I am willing to see them as necessary I would like to peruse some scientific data. Besides opinion does anyone have any data?
They are not necessary. One can cycle with reasonable safety without one.
I doubt there is any data, plus I suspect it would be very difficult to structure a study that could eliminate other factors.

What about when walking or jogging? Do you use them then also for the same reasons?
I don't walk where there is a need to keep track or be aware of faster traffic from the rear. When I walk on a shared path with cyclists I can keep to far edge of path and am willing to trust the faster cyclists will see and respond to me and accept the risk/severity potential of being hit.

Last edited by noisebeam; 03-08-12 at 02:16 PM.