View Single Post
Old 03-09-12, 08:57 AM
kv501

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by digger531
I am not sure how attacking my post is helpful to the OP. First of all, it is true, if you are going to be on a trainer for any significant time you should change tire or wheel both of which are expensive and a pain. Secondly, the OP did not ask if you agree with me. I must also apologize to Tandem Tom. I read your post again and realized that you didnt ask my opinion either. And on that note

Rollers- More "realistic feel, need to balance, dont have to lock expensive carbon frames in a vice, takes practice to get comfortable, I have never ridden them but a lot of people mention falling.

Fluid trainers- Probably the best choice, quiet (comparitively), good road feel, durable Curt Kinnetic machines seem to get the nod from reviewers

Air or Fan trainers-cheaper, can be had on craigslist real cheap, good starting point if you are not sure however may also turn you off due to noise.
Not attacking anything. I just don't want to have someone get turned off from a tool that might help them greatly in their training. As far as locking "expensive carbon frames in a vise," again...you are exaggerating a non issue. The vast majority of people here with carbon frames put thousands of miles on their bikes in a trainer. Check out any warmups before a pro race if you need to see hundreds of carbon race frames getting pounded on them. Also, you are locking a skewer into the trainer, not your frame. You stress it more with cracks in concrete, railroad tracks, turning, and braking than you ever would in a trainer.

Also, I just looked on ebay, found a used wheel/hub, and a Shimano 10 speed cassette for a total of $60. I can change a rear wheel in under 30 seconds and I'm a klutz. Flame away if you feel the need, I'm out.