Old 03-09-12, 09:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6250 Post(s)
Liked 4,273 Times in 2,393 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
Please guys, go (re)read the first chapter of The Bicycle Wheel.
Never read the book. But I do have 25+ years experience building wheels and 30+ years experience of riding and observing wheels. I've had my share of failed wheels, failed spokes and failed rims. A rim that fails isn't a failed wheel, unless you can't find a rim with the same effective rim diameter. It is relatively easy to detension an existing rim, swap the spokes to a new rim and retension the wheel to have a perfectly serviceable wheel. I've done it many, many times... such as, for example, in the case of a dented rim like ericthered's. If the rim were the weakest link in the wheel system, a broken rim should be the end of the wheel. Even pulling a spoke through the rim doesn't mean that the wheel is dead.

However, a broken spoke is usually indicative of something much more ominous and systemic. Two broken spokes is cause for concern and breaking more than 2 means that you should quite riding the wheel and rebuild it with new spokes and a better technique.

I ride narrow lightweight rims on mountain bikes and road bikes. I'm never concerned that a lightweight rim might fail. I don't, however, ride wheels with low spoke counts because I know what happens to low spoke count wheels when used for heavy riders.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!