View Single Post
Old 07-23-05, 05:47 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat
Well, I think they have about covered it. CO2 cartridges are one shot deals. So unless you carry a bunch, you need to have the drill down just so because you don't get another chance.

With pumps, you can fool around all day until you get it right. They are heavier and bulkier.
What is heavier and bulkier? The frame pump? Nope. My Carb one pump is very strong - much better than the old Zefals or the little Torelli that I use to use. And, it weights next to nothing. It pumps up a tubular to 110 or greater. I have tried CO2 and although kind of neat with the fast blast, the are indeed heavier, you've got multiple items to carry as in the inflater and at least two other metal Co2 cartridges, and then you get to throw out those used cartridges. In an earlier post on this subject, I questioned why others would use them and there were some good valid points made by advocates of Co2, being that they are easier for people to use who may have difficulty in pumping up a tire (older riders) or in hot conditions they conserve your energy. I can remember breaking a sweat pumping up a tire once, but only one. Co2 is not by deal but I respect those who find it of benefit. If I were in a race against the clock, they do make sense.