Old 03-11-12, 11:11 AM
Doane

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus with fenders, rack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best "Bullet Proof" commuting tires?

Just curious if there have been any reviews of how effectively different tire brands can actually hold up against punctures, cuts, etc. Or opinions from those familiar with different tires?

I have a fairly short commute back and forth to work of less then 10 miles.. all down hill in the mornings, all up hill in the evenings and they are sometimes wet. Mostly asphalt on the roads while the town streets are cement with lots of patched cracks and joints for off the seat jolts. The asphalt shoulder riding area has a lot of stones, glass, nails, and other debris that so far have not given me flats on three bikes, but I try to keep a sharp eye out for obstacles and am just wondering if there might be a better tire brand then what I have now.. weight isn't that big a consideration, but rolling resistance and traction are.
My current bike is a Specialized Sirrus Sport with 700x32c specialized "All condition" wire bead 60TPi with "Flak Jacket" protection tires that are fairly smooth. The tubes are listed as Standard Presta valve types. Also, what does the tire term, "60TPI" and "wire bead" refer to and what exactly is puncture protection (?) "flak jacket"?

Thanks,