Old 03-13-12, 07:02 AM
DX-MAN
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Another reason for a high-power light and a bell. Joggers run in the street because asphalt is softer than concrete, and usually streets have less of a slant. I agree that it's annoying, but look at it this way: Cyclists complaining about joggers in the bike lane is sort of like drivers complaining about cyclists on the streets. The reason I say this is that most "bike paths" are really MUTs or multi-use trails.

What annoys me the most is joggers who run in the street, dressed totally in black, in the dark, with no reflective gear, in the direction of the traffic. It's amazing how many joggers dress like this. Do they have a death wish? I put a bell on my commuter bike for that reason soon after I started riding to work.
Streets have LESS slant than sidewalks? Where do you LIVE? THAT'S something I'd like to SEE!

As far as your comparison about bikelane joggers & cyclists in the street, apples & oranges. Bikes in the street are legally allowed to be there; joggers in the bike lane, or in the street PERIOD, fall under the heading of "victimless crime", and largely ignored. TECHNICALLY, you can't be a pedestrian in the street when there's a sidewalk present in most areas, but with "no blood, no foul" being the rule of the day anymore, it's just un-enforced.

"Bike path" =/= "bike lane".

Agree with the ninja joggers, though, that's just stupid.

Where I live, I don't see joggers in the FEW bike lanes we have, but they're ALL OVER the MUP.