Old 03-14-12, 11:09 PM
fishymamba

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kv501
Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome. Maybe??? (not a Dr.)

Shin splints. This is the reason I can't run and part of the reason I cycle as much as I do. I am sure that I could probably alter running form in order to get rid of them, but I don't try because I hate running and like to ride a bike.

As far as treating them, the best thing is prevention because once it starts you are in for several weeks of healing. In your case this would apparently mean not being on the bike. If it is only happening while grinding start spinning.

As far as cleat positioning, that is a huge topic with as many different answers here as there are members. I'd get a reputable bike fit before taking the advice of internet forum goons like myself. If that doesn't work, then maybe inquire here as to what others have done.
Thanks for the advice! I will see if changing cleat position helps, if it does not and the pain becomes worse I will see if I could have a serious problem.

I do try spinning, but one of the local hills I climb has grades of over 20% and even with a triple, I can't really spin.