Old 03-15-12, 02:05 AM
Oogie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newb, needs advice on first SS / FG after absorbing way too much info!

Hi all! I've been lurking here for a week now- as well as other sites- seeking info to help me decide on a new bike. Ithought the choice would be quick and easy, but the more i read, the harder it is for me to make up my mind and i've reached the point where i need specific advice not brought up in any other post so far......

I'm definitely set on a fixed gear / single speed- so i need a bike with a flip flop hub. I used to ride a Cube X-Race bike to commute to work a couple years ago but then sold it prior to moving to LA as I needed the cash. However, i'm really feeling the urge to commute to work again (7 miles each way).

More than just a commuter, i also plan on using this bike for everyday cruising with my friends, which does involve occasionally jumping over sidewalks (could be avoided), and cutting through short bits of grass or dirt (harder to avoid). I'm currently borrowing a friends beach cruiser for daily trips around my neighborhood, and for riding by the beach. So i'm looking for something fun, but will also quickly and comfortably get me to and from work- and i definitely do not see myself on leisure cruises by the beach or quick trips to the shop on a race bike (nor can i afford two bikes).

So, to the nitty gritty. I'm ready to spend up to $600, maybe $700 (though unreasonable, i could let myself get convinced) on my bike, including upgrades- I could even consider $800 - $900, but it would definitely take me a few months to be able to go that far and i want a bike now.

Here is where it gets tough (and where i will be heckled). Please do not judge me for this, as i really do value your opinions. Here's whats going through mind: I'm difficult on colors: I really do not feel black bikes, nor steel parts (i know, its lame, but i cant help it, I accept the superficial side in me). I am though open to a paint job and changing parts (even if it takes me a few months to get the cash). Also, i do not want something that will break down within the first 300 miles (but am willing to invest $$$ in upgrades, as long as it doesnt surpass my longer term budget). This is my dilemma, the cheaper bikes have more color options than the quality ones (which are either black, or have too many colors / logos), but are the cheaper frames worth upgrading? Or on the other hand, should i get a better bike from the start, and invest in aesthetics in the longer run? The second option is probably the best, but for what i'm planning to do with it, do i really need to get a Paddy Wagon that i'd end up re-painting, or am i better off with a Motobecane Messenger, which i'll need to at least change the wheels and tires some time down the road, including other components? This is where i need your expertise guys and gals.... Though i could afford more, i do not want to waste money for specs i shouldnt worry about either. Maybe i'll never need more than an off shelf TT, besides new tires?

Here's what i'm interested in so far, based on surfing on this forum:
Low price points: Kilo TT Pro, Kilo WT, Motobecane Messenger (my fav at the moment....). I hear you guys recommending the TT and Messenger quite often here, but i'm wondering if these are bikes worth investing $200 - $300 in part upgrades within the first couple of months? Actually, would i need to? I'm afraid the frames are too cheap and heavy vs my next options:
Mid price points: Redline Urbis- I havent heard much good on this board, but it really seems like a fun bike. Felt Broughman- black and chrome parts again.
High Price points: IRO (i do not like black, and thats the only option for the model with a flip flop hub)- is this worth re-painting? How much is a paint job? Trek District S- i could actually live with this color, but havent heard much about this one. Kona Paddy Wagon- same as the Iro, i really do not like the colors. Wabi Classic- i do not like the chrome parts. Raleigh Furley or Rush Hour- again, color issues, and i'm not sure i understand the differences....

Excuse the long post, and i'm sure that lots of you are boiling as to my comments on color, but i do need and respect your guidance and advice. What do you recommend i do? Thanks for your patience and comments!