Old 03-15-12, 05:48 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadTired
Just called but bike shop and just explained what happened. The guy I talked to blamed it on my pump being inaccurate and over inflating about 50 lbs, (yikes!) that blowing tubes is a regular occurance (he goes thru 3 or 4 a season) and the mech that did the work has been at it 15 years... I do have a nice pencil-type bike pressure guage so I'm fairly confident in the pressure. Also previous to this set of tires, I've worn them out w/o ever blowing a tube. Might have had a flat, but don't remember.

Oh well, tubes are not expensive, and I understand anyone can make a mistake. I'll just pick up a couple and move on.
Move on, yes, but you were given a load of you-know-what.

First, you should not have had to pump up the tire at all - should have been given to you at full pressure, for customer service and for liability. What if you had an accident due to your inability to maneuver on soft tires?

Second, inflating 50 lbs over takes a good bit of oomph, and some tires can actually take that.

Third, any mechanic that blows 3 or 4 tubes a season on non-defective tires (even when doing hundreds) is a lousy mechanic.

Lastly, tires don't care about the mechanic's resume. If you do it wrong they blow.

I'm confident that you are right that it was the shop. The only thing I would say is to carefully watch the bead line (raised ridge of rubber close to the rim) any time you inflate and do it by degrees if using a compressor.