Old 03-16-12, 07:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,553 Times in 7,330 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclebum
Burton, all that stuff sure sounds mouthwatering and packable. Trouble is, I've never heard of any of it. Just a Texas thing I'm sure. I need to get out more.
Yes you do if you had never heard of capicolla and prosciutto. I spent 7 weeks touring southern Spain. Rarely did a day go by when I didn't have the Spanish version of prosciutto--jamon. Makes great sandwiches along with goat cheese. Some of the real high end stuf comes from pigs that feed on special black acorns that allegedly gives their flesh a special flavor. I could take a 5 min. walk right now and buy some jamon that sells for $80/lb. There are some jamons that cost more than twice that. Salty, yes. But it tastes a lot better than Gatorade. And it's not processed like Hormell salami, etc. It's simply cured. Many bars in Spain have giant hams hanging from the ceilings.

Quinoa is the big thing now. It is very good for you. But you have to be careful if you are counting calories. It has more calories than rice or pasta.

Biscotti rock granola bars any day.

Another vote for sardines. The ones in oil provide salt, fat and protien in one compact can. Kippered herring, too.

Another snack I like to tote is jerky. Both beef and turkey. There are some Amish vendors near my office that sell their own stuff. It doesn't have all the junk you get in some fo the store bought brands.

During a long tour in '00 I got hooked on Strawberry Newtons.