Old 03-16-12, 09:12 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Anyone using the Garmin Edge 800 while touring?

I’m going to buy the Garmin Edge 800 or the Edge 500 soon. I like having a bike computer for fitness riding and the reviews on the Edge 500 look promising. The Garmin Edge 800 seems to be far less popular, but I’m attracted to the map and direction feature that the Edge 800 has.

My concern is that the Garmin Edge 800 is more costly and more complex to use without the added real world benifit. While I understand that the direction function has voice prompts, is it really better than a detailed route plan and maps? I would want to carefully plan my route in advance in any case. Plus, battery life is an issue, but I could charge it while eating at a restaurant twice a day.

I hope that a few BF touring members have used a Garmin Edge 800 and can provide guidance. Does the Garmin Edge 800 provide enough benifit over the 500 while touring?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-16-12 at 09:35 AM.