Old 03-22-12, 06:53 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by VT_Speed_TR
I have a 2011 Salsa Casseroll with a Shimano Tiagra-GS cage rear derailleur.

I'm wondering if anyone has pushed the rear to a 11-30 cluster? If I don't cross shift the gearing will the rear derailleur handle it? Or should I look to change the front to a 24,36-46 set? Still not as low as I'd want though unless I get a rear derailleur that has the max 27.

Thanx's
I used a Sram 11-32 cassette with a Shimano "GS" (long arm-road) rear derailleur last year and had no issues with a 32 size cog. Fitting a 12-30 should not be a problem.

Also, the Shimano "GS" (long arm-road) rear derailleur also has huge chain wrap and cog size capacity that is much greater than stated on the Specifications.

The chain-wrap limit of the Tiagra/105/Ultegra GS, according to Shimano, is 37. I'm operating safely, with every gear combination, using a chain-wrap value of 42. It is also possible to exceed the 27t Cog size capacity and use a 32t. I've combined a 50, 39 & 26 Crankset with the 10 speed Tiagra 12-30 cassette.

The practical chain-wrap capacity, with a correct length chain, of the road "GS" RD allows the big-big combination of 50t front Chainring & 30t rear cog with a little safety margin and also allows the small-small combination of 26t & 12t without any slack in the chain.

I'm also using a Shimano "GS" (long arm-road) rear derailleur with a 48, 36 & 22t triple with a 12-27 cassette with no problems. I'm sure a the 12-30 Century special from Harris would also work on this drivetrain.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-22-12 at 09:22 AM.