Old 03-24-12, 03:46 AM
gwtrike

Bikes: Schwinn mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yacht4U
I have started riding with 5 pound ankle weights on each leg....I am to the point where it is getting harder to get my heart rate into the target zone because I am in much better cardio condition then when i started all of this in Feb. ..

Now with the ankle weights I find that riding the same cadence and same speed and same gear as before it has raised my heart beat by 12% thus I am getting a better workout now.I bought the ankle weights at Sports Authority for 17.00...
I know I'm late to this thread, but this is a great idea and so simple I can only say, "Duh, I shoulda known that!" The reason I say so is because I just got my bike outta the shop after $150 worth of mods to change out the entire crank assembly and rear cassette for slightly bigger gears up front. I ride outside in the lowest gear (the hardest one to pedal) for my workout and had max'ed out the bike. The new gears give me another 20% resistance, but I need more. The ankle weights are a great idea. I needed a new crank assembly anyway, though, as I had worn out the biggest front sprocket and the smallest one one the rear.

Thanks,
Greg

Last edited by gwtrike; 03-24-12 at 03:49 AM.