View Single Post
Old 03-25-12, 10:03 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by richgoode
The idea of custom is intriguing.
I'm probably one of the few people here who has TIG-welded their own custom frame together (under the watchful eye of an experienced frame builder). My advise on custom is: if you can fit on an off-the shelf frame, you'll get a lot more bike for your money. I, personally, wouldn't buy a custom bike unless I couldn't fit an off-the-shelf frame or I needed some special feature that wasn't commonly available (ex: S&S couplers, clearance for huge tires). If you can fit on a stock frame but want a bike that's a bit more custom, consider buying the bare frame then outfitting it with the components and wheels of your choice.

If you're looking at the Specialized Roubaix, which is a great bike by the way, I would also consider: Cervelo RS, Cannondale Synapse, and the Giant Defy. Keep in mind that carbon frames with more aggressive geometry and sharper handling, like the Specialized Tarmac and Cervelo R3, can still be amazingly comfortable! I looked at all of these bikes, narrowed the search down to the Roubaix and Cervelo RS then bought an RS.