Old 03-26-12, 10:17 AM
hagen2456

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harpon
When I quit racing in '84 I got rid of EVERYTHING- but by '87 I wanted to ride again- I bought this in Indiana for $100 in the middle of a POUNDING thunderstorm. 23"- Just my size and everything.

Got rid of the sew ups right away- sick of 'em- and narrow 700c was a Godsend sent to replace their size about just then. If it had a Brooks saddle it probably wasn't in good shape and I probably threw it out. Steel seatpost had to go- alloy with built in clamp went on.

After riding Campy sidepull brakes for 14 years, I wasn't about to ride Mafac- hated working on em in bikeshops too- not even a center groove in the middle of the hanger- tilty little pads- although I didn't spring for Campy, I got some kind of generic sidepull that worked well and are still on her.

Simplex push rod front derailleur- threw it away and replaced with alloy suntour- until recently, when I put a Campy on. The back one I considered a stepdown, but it worked surprisingly well and I knew it had the Simplex dropouts- so I stayed with that until recently when it broke, and I eventually put a Nuovo Record on.

Stronglight 93- an alright crank- but I missed the Super Record and found an Omega knockoff very cheap a year ago- so went with that- Not that concerned with strict "Vintage" here- it's a good frame with nostalgic value for me. Takers?

pictures- 1. me and my Toyota "home" for several weeks ca.'93. I really loved that Avocet gel saddle and I think it finally broke sometime.
2.Bike with cat's a$$ in my welfare boarding room about the same time
3. A couple of years ago in Memorial Park next to St John's river Jacksonville.
I put the BMX bars on because of back trouble and it REALLY helps (with Yoga), and the funky but very ridable Bell cruiser saddle from Wal Mart
4 and 5. The PX10 and me after the new crank, red tires and gold leaf painted lugs.

Oh- the "Bear Trap" blue anno pedals- some of you may laugh- The Lyotards finally wore through the cage, and I decided I didn't want clips and straps anymore- I got these- and they are reasonably priced- I found that I really like them and for non-clip use, they have what feels to be even a mechanical advantage, being so wide front to back- especially on hills it's like putting this extra long fulcrum out front on the downstroke and the MX bars too are great for climbing- you can really get up on the pedals and fall forward on them- even though this is flat Florida I rode them in hilly southern Indiana.

I really love the thumb shifters too- I can shift without my hands leaving the grips.

I love your bike - I somehow prefer the non-whites, actually. But, if I were you, I'd put on the MAFACs. Sure, they're hard to set up 100% tuned, but once you've got them working, they're the best you can get from that era.