View Single Post
Old 03-29-12, 03:42 PM
MJH2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RepWI
A good friend of mine is an old back packer. Twenty some years ago he and our partners camped in the Porkies. It was spring and we spent most of our time in the tents staying dry. We did it.

Long & short. My turn to plan our yearly adventure, now, minus partners. I am thinking of a return to the Porkies. This time, car camping with some circle bike tours. Are there some routes that a couple of 60 year olds could traverse? Or, would we need to travel 30 miles or so to get some flat ground? An easy going two night stay is what is needed. Some campfire, beer, BS, catch up and yup a bit of road biking would be grand. We would be coming up from western WI.
I can't really help you with the routes, other than to say I think it's going to be difficult. There aren't exactly a lot of roads right around the park.

Rather than car camping and tents, though, consider renting the Lost Creek Yurt. It would be about a mile walk-in from the car, but absolutely worth it. I've rented it a couple of times in the winter (when it's actually a 6 mile trek from the car... takes about 4 hours to get there), and love that place.

If bikes are allowed on south boundary line road (I have no idea), you could leave the bikes in the car and just hike out to them when you want to ride.

I love the porkies.