View Single Post
Old 03-30-12, 08:32 AM
conradpdx

Bikes: 70"s Raleigh Superbe, 1959 Murray Vanguard Middle weigh cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing is offensive on craigslist bike ads really. Silly yes sometimes. I calmly explain why there bike isn't worth so much in an email to them if it's a bike I'm interested in....I'll include links in the email to some of the ebay listings of replacement parts, and other example of mint versions of their bikes for sale in other places, then explain the time and money it takes to do a restoration.

Some bring the prices down and some don't. Doesn't matter to me, it's more of a hobby for me than an income stream. So I don't let myself get too emotionally invested till it's in my garage.

Besides, a $200 for beat up "rare" Chicago Schwinn is still a better deal than anything else for $200 in a box store (most peoples idea of fair pricing). Which is why you're seeing the prices go up. We're in the middle of the next bike boom, when Wally World bikes go for $150-$200, why wouldn't an old reliable bike? Other than some of the bike co-ops, bike store bikes are still out of most people price ranges. Yeah, it's easy for us to say you get what you pay for, but as most of us know, most bikes sit after they are bought. And besides the basis of your complaint it that you want to get more than you pay for.

<edit> When I list, I give seat tube dimension (except on kids bikes tire size then) and a recommended rider size. Not everyone knows what size is going to fit them. Let alone a dimension given in cm. But I also tend deal in casual/urban rides/bar hoppers, where sizing isn't as important.

Also this forum in a way with it's "what's it's worth" threads doesn't help much either. Anyone can look up there bike thier and price it at collector prices.

Last edited by conradpdx; 03-30-12 at 08:47 AM.