View Single Post
Old 03-30-12, 08:59 AM
daven1986

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Check to be sure the cables are clamped securely. If they are slipping in the pinch bolts the shifting will go out of time. Unless your chain is very badly "stretched" your chainrings should be ok as will the rear derailleur pulleys.
Forgot to mention, this was one of the first things I checked. How badly stretched is "badly stretched"? I think mine, after a quick measurement with a digital caliper, is 3.216 inches instead of 3 inches, which to me is pretty badly worn! I have been very bad with maintenance this year

Originally Posted by kv501
Adjusting your RD won't do anything for the skipping.

You need to change your cassette and chain anyway; do that, and if you are still having problems come back and get help. With all of the adjusting you are doing now, start over from from scratch after you've installed the cassette and chain.
Well to be honest, the skipping just seems to be the derailleur not moving enough to get the chain onto the next cog and the chain skipping between the two. When I adjust the cable then the shifting is perfect with no skipping.

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Fix what you know is wrong (cassette and chain) before you go farther with troubleshooting. While you have things apart check the condition of your cables and housings and be sure that the housings are properly prepared and installed; ends cut cleanly and filed flat, and the proper ferrules installed. Pay particular attention to the lower loop of housing going into your derailleur; it tends to collect dirt and crud. Dirty or poorly-installed cables and housings are a frequent cause of shifting woes.
I will check out the cable, was thinking of replacing it anyway. The cable and chain haven't been changed since I bought the bike (about 10,000 miles and 3.5 years ago!) so I was going to get together a shopping list.

Thanks for the replies,

Daven