Old 04-01-12, 04:40 PM
ubringliten

Bikes: 2010 Wabi Lightning, 2014 Brompton S2L-X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
The culture has changed, ain't many teen-twenty-somethings drooling over IROC-Z Camaros. My 3 kids in that age range look at cars as a necessary evil and at $4.50 a gallon just what fool is cruising for pleasure? Top Gear has a dying audience. My 2 cents.
I am glad to hear Top Gear has a dying audience. I used to be a car enthusiast myself until my wife and I move to the city.

Culture shift is a big factor these days. I have two nephews in high school and they are asking my opinion on what kind of bikes to get. I was surprised! I asked the elder one why is he into bikes out of nowhere (he's into skateboarding) and he replied that he doesn't like to sit in a car to go everywhere. And both of them live in the suburbs. It is just not the youngy. There are plenty of tech millionaires living in SF and they don't even own any car. I know this guy that works for Google, owns a Victorian home right smack on Valencia St. (a green wave boulevard for cycling-best in town), and he renovated his garage to fit his custom bikes.

Americans are waking up that driving is not as fun as walking, cycling, and/or taking public transit not to mention they hear all the horrible news about climate change and corporate greed. Think it this way. Wouldn't be so much fun to ride the mass transit together with bunch of friends (more than 5 which is limited to a car) and come home drunk and care-free. Or better yet, get a group ride together to a live concert/bar or where-ever maybe. That is how I see it living in the city. We are slowly learning the European way.

Last edited by ubringliten; 04-01-12 at 04:43 PM.