Old 04-04-12, 07:45 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mercian Rider
Something you don't see every day. If it fit me I'd be on my way to Cleveland.

Miyata Classy 3 speed commuter series 25 inch frame - $250 (Cleveland)

Date: 2012-04-04, 8:07AM EDT
Reply to: w84cc-2939441594@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

commuter bikes are an abandoned part of the bike segment in the US, Older Schwinn, Raleigh three speeds were heavy lower end product lines, This bike, early 80s vintage, is quality made,of higher end materials. Frame is chrome moly tubing. Miyata was known for being the only bike manufacture than made its own tubing. Components, rims, cranks, seat post, handlebars, fenders, chain guard, made for this bike front and rear racks, are all made of aluminum, which again the other brands usually where made with heavier all steel components. Lighting system,w original equipment generator, with headlight, works. 27 X 1 1/4 tires, three speed Shimano rear hub, side pull caliper brakes. Bike is all original except for aftermarket, but appropriate seat. Similar, and not imported, European commuter bikes, of similar designs are priced 1-2000 dollars. Look on blogs online, and youll find out of all the Japanese manufactures that Miyata is probably the only one that has potential of becoming collectible because of their quality and innovation. . Bike is very clean, and again a large frame 25 inch 63.5cm good for at least a 6ft person, or taller.Link to 1981 miyata product catalog with description and pictures http://www.miyatacatalogs.com/2007/1...alog-1981.html Bike was titled, Classy 3 speed commuter series the owner of shaker cycle, who sold Miyatas in the Cleveland said only about 400 of these bikes were sold in the US, himself selling 180 in the area.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 2939441594

I like that one, with exception of the Shimano 3-speed hub. It's tempting, but I'm nearly tapped out with a big tax bill and some recent work I needed to have done to my house. <sigh>