Old 04-06-12, 10:33 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
Originally Posted by IthaDan
A ghia designed by Karmann? Other than the initial pen on the platform, the ghia was a pretty distant descendent of anything Porsche. And the that's the other Ferdinand Porsche- the one that died in 1951.

The one that just died was 76- far too young to have much to do with Hitler and the Kaefer. He was the grandson of Ferdinand and the son of Ferry Porsche.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdina...xander_Porsche

E: not singling you out BG, just trying to settle a little confusion on who's who here.
Funny to see these: I came very close to buying a Type 3 Ghia (technically a Type 34) as a hobby car many years back. Gave it a pass and found myself with a BMW 1600 TI instead. These are some cars only a mother (or somebody with a sense of humor) can love...but they actually are designed by Italian house of Ghia and build by coachbuilder Karmann, just like the Type 1 (or type 14 if you like) KG. Other funny thing is that the Porsche 914 was designed to replace the KG in VW's line when it was introduced, and provide Porsche with an "economy" product as well...bodies were also built by Karmann...another styling exercise that plenty of the critics found plenty to criticize: I remember the quote that it "looked like the box they shipped it in" was a popular one.

BTW: I wish people could stop scalding cats to establish a benchmark for speed...we have computer models that do this, now. We should reserve our feline mayhem to killing kittens by drewing bicycle frames...this is something computers have yet to accomplish. (joking)

Last edited by unworthy1; 04-06-12 at 10:41 AM.