View Single Post
Old 04-06-12, 10:41 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead
Maybe... maybe not. This video has circulated a few times on the forums. Good technique for any tire:

Generally a good video, but I would disagree with the guy's assertion, when he starts mounting the final edge of the tire at the valve, that "you can start anywhere." Not true, for two reasons, which become quite apparent as he works away at completing the tire mounting. You should ALWAYS start opposite the valve, and finish mounting at the valve because:

1. If you start at the valve, you cannot put the tire bead adjacent to the valve into "the well." This loses you precious tire circumference. I'm amazed that this guy cannot see that! If you start opposite the valve, you can put the entire tire circumference into the well. The one place you don't need to put the bead into the well is at the valve, but that's OK, because that's where you finish!

2. You notice that the guy keeps having to push the inner tube into the tire to make sure it doesn't get caught under the bead as he nears completion. If you finish at the valve, this is not an issue, as the tube stays put because the valve is in the valve hole. And at the point where you push on the final section of the bead, you merely push the valve up so the bead can clear it, pop on the bead, then pull the valve back down to seat it in the valve hole.

Finishing at the valve I learned from John Forester early in my cycling career. The first time I tried it, I was amazed at how much easier it was.

Luis