Old 04-07-12, 10:23 AM
JimCanuck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
The fenders were mounted a little too close, there was just enough rubbing, and it just took a good bump for everything to come together.
But wait, now your talking about my previous point, assuming I'm reading this sentence properly. That you going through a "good bump" caused the rivet to fail. In which case due to your lack of clearance, more then likely it was shear loading and dynamic loading issue that caused the rivet to fail anyways, not the rubbing of the tire and rivet wearing each other down, but the lack of clearance allowed your tire to make contact and apply a load onto the rivet itself, which was fixed to the frame, so the energy had nowhere else to go but the weakest link (the rivet).

Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
As far as brake pads wearing down rims, you should try commuting daily in Vancouver for about three years. That's how long it takes (for sure) to wear down a rim to the point that it cracks. Once again, sand gets on the rubber pads and wears down the rim.
In in those three years of commuting how many brake pads did you go through due to the wear of the rubber between the sand and the rims? Stating that the rubber wears out the rim without a point of reference is meaningless. Which is my entire point.

Its like someone saying they can bike 40km/h all day long, without mentioning that they can only do that while biking on a decline.

Jim