View Single Post
Old 04-09-12, 11:39 AM
Hoss Cartright

Bikes: Schwinns, lots of them. Some Paramounts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I think we all know that Pawn shops make their living by basically preying on the weak, and I find the employees at pawn shops to typically to be arrogant know-it-all jerks who ask way too much for junk that they buy for pennies on the dollar. So for me, I don't waste my time in those places. And in defense of pawn shops, they are not twisting anybody's arm when they buy the stuff people are selling. And if they can flip a beat-up WalMart bike for more than it costs new, more power too them. There is a clientele for this or they wouldn't be in business, it's just not my cup of tea.

The last time I was in on one of these discussions it was about paying the asking price at Yard sales and on the CL and how there are still smoking deals out there when you are prepared to jump on them.. It then turned into a discussion about how it is morally wrong to prey on someone who is selling something too cheap, even when you pay their asking price.
And I have a bunch of bikes that I have bought dirt cheap. As I have said before - "Pawn shops make guys like me look like the Pope." hmmm?
Personally, I do better in the Yard sales, the CL on occasion and the LBS used bike selection. Now that the LBS knows me and that I am a source for a fast easy cash sale, they actually call me when they get a bike they think I might be interested in. Establishing this relationship has been the best pay-off for me in the long run.

In fact, I bought this like new 1980s all Campy Simoncini Special Professional for $325.00 at the LBS. It was on consignment, so imagine.. I paid their price and certainly they made a profit as well.

This 1987 Cannondale Team Comp is also all Campy and was a trade-in at the same LBS. Bought this for $225.00 and it is a keeper.