View Single Post
Old 04-09-12, 02:20 PM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Obviously a lot of drivers are going to have this attitude, and a certain fraction of them are going to be enraged and react dangerously to a bicycle slowing them down. I went through all of this before deciding to go car-free for a couple of years. The bottom line I came to is this: anyone who strongly objects, including and specifically with the reasoning "car-sized objects going 55 and small bicycles going 15 just don't mix, physics always wins" is simply wrong. Legally wrong, morally wrong, logically wrong, and wrong in practice.

In this country, a legal right is fundamental. As long as you're going about your legal and rightful business, excepting extraordinary situations, you do not have to justify your free exercise of your legal right to anyone including anyone in authority, let alone the random person on the street. If that person has a problem with it, it's their problem. If by their actions you are forced to face extra risk, they are in the wrong legally and morally, and it's their obligation to alter their behavior, not yours. If they refuse to do so, if they rant and rave about the cyclists, then they are the ******-bags.

Therefore, as long as you're operating legally and you respect common courtesy enough not to exaggerate your rights and push the boundaries, you have the right and are right to be on the road of your choosing. And in practice it's not nearly so risky as the inexperienced or ignorant will suppose - because the laws governing these activities are designed that way for good reason: because over years and decades they have been found to work.
......... +1 ... ... 100% ... Thank you!... I wish we could give rep here!

Originally Posted by corvuscorvax
So your point of view is that, despite the fact that the cyclist is behaving perfectly legally, you think they're being rude, and therefore you feel it is justified to retaliate? This is road rage, plain and simple. The fact that you have a flimsy rationalization for your use of the horn doesn't justify it. (Flying through a school zone at 50 mph is illegal, by the way -- probably a felony.)

If you are actually in the habit of retaliating against other road users for perceived rudeness, you should seriously look into some anger management counseling, because you are a hazard to others.
......... +1 ... ... 100% ... Thank you too!... And rep to you too!

Originally Posted by MMACH 5
Just a little clarification on "impeding traffic:"

If there is more than one lane going in the same directions as the cyclist (i.e. - multi-lane thoroughfare), thus, leaving an open lane to the left, a cyclist, taking the full lane is not impeding traffic.
.........+1 ... ... That's the way it has worked everywhere that I have lived too!

Last edited by Stealthammer; 04-09-12 at 02:33 PM.