gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamplight
My knees don't get really bad unless I try to run, or jump off of something, or if I have to stand for a very long time. Biking is mostly pretty easy on my knees as long as I don't push too hard. I just have to remember to spin instead of mash, which can be difficult because I've always been more of a masher. Also, before I moved here and started walking everywhere, my knees were actually worse. When I first moved here I was taking a prescription daily to dull the pain, and I could still only walk a mile or two before hurting. Biking was only a little better. But I guess all the walking I've done throughout the winter has strengthened my knees somehow, because now I can walk three or four times as far without feeling anything but a dull, subtle ache, which is more of a nuisance than a true pain. But running is a big no-no for me, not that I ever liked running anyway. And both of you, standing is the worst. In fact, I think my last job, where I would stand on concrete for 8+ hours ever day, is what screwed up my knees in the first place.
One thing about getting used to exercise is that it builds up muscles that actually protect the joints from stressful impact. Maybe that's what's going on with you. I know I used to have more aches and pains before I started cycling.... and I was much younger then!