View Single Post
Old 04-13-12, 11:21 AM
vins0010

Bikes: '86 Trek Elance 400; '83 Trek 520; 90s Specialized Crossroads, '84 Trek 610 (wife's), 90s Trek Multitrack (wife's), Cargo Trailers, Burley for the Kids, WeeHoo Trailer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What models of recumbent to look for?

Lately, I've been looking at recumbents, because I'd like a change of pace and some variety for a lot of my commuting (usually, 2-5 miles one way) - as well as some longer recreational rides on the weekends (my wife and I often go out, all day, in a casual way where we'll put on 20-50 miles).

I'm most interested in a used recumbent - as I do all my own wrenching and well, just don't need the service from an LBS and just fixing things up, over time, seems to be my thing. Once-in-awhile, I see one come up on craigslist but really have no idea of what to look for. I'd like something comparable to my current commuter and light tourer (an '86 Trek 400 Elance, Reynold 531 frame, "sport" geometry). It is a road bike but a bit of a relaxed one. IOW, something a bit nicer and quicker but not the 'bent equivalent of a Trek Madone.

However, I don't even know what I'm looking at with recumbents. And I know I won't really know until I try a few out; however, that is harder here. Especially since I'm looking used, I'd prefer to focus on going to see those that are at least a reasonable approximation of what I'm looking for.

From everyone's experience here, would there be any suggested models/brands I should keep my eye out for on the used market. Any that, especially, that don't seem in keeping with my needs. I did try, I think, a "Bike E" once - and thought that a little less sporty than I'd like. There's also a Rans Trailwind on the used market where I'm at...thinking of looking at that. In advance, thanks for any info you can offer...